Why do so many people suffer with a fear of driving?
No-one really knows. But it is incredibly common. Even people who drive regularly can from time to time feel some anxiety when driving their car.
The University of Florida published a study some time ago showing that increased anxiety leads to performance deterioration behind the wheel as we become more easily distracted and scatterbrained.
It's amazing how many forums are advising people with a fear of driving a car to 'just get on with it'. Bit like the 'feel the fear and do it anyway'. If only it was so easy, right? If only these people had even a bare minimum of understanding about what you're experiencing they probably wouldn't be quite so flippant.
The reality is that when you're really fearful about doing something your normal response is to stay away from it. In some cases your fear of driving is very rational. Perhaps you've been involved in an accident either as a passenger or as the driver. Maybe you have a lousy sense of direction and are always getting lost so your anxiety increases whe you're behind the wheel. That all makes sense.
However it may be that you are fine unless you have to drive over a bridge - but you have no idea why you're feeling this way. Not all of our fears are logical. In some cases the anxiety can increase to such an extent that you start to experience panic attacks when driving and that's really scary!
If you're experiencing any of these difficulties:
- feeling anxious when on a main highway or motorway
- losing concentration and becoming flustered when driving
- panicky when driving in a tunnel (or refusing to do it at all)
- doing everything possible to avoid going over bridges
- anxious when in heavy traffic
- panicky and claustrophobic when stuck in a traffic jam
- refusing to drive if the weather isn't perfect (when it's raining for example)
- fear of being in an accident
- having a panic attack when behind the wheel of a car
- refusing to get behind the wheel at all
- any other anxieties
... you need to seek help.
So... how do I overcome this fear of driving?
The good news is that you can be helped. And it doesn't take very long at all to sort out your phobia of driving. Come on in and learn more about the programme I use to allow you to overcome this issue.
Do call me now - it's easy to overcome this problem. You're very welcome to book in for a chat (it's a free consultation) to discuss your options and answer any questions you may have. There is no obligation on either your part or mine! Call me on 0409 254 500 to book an appointment.